Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Goodbye Spring, Hello Summer!

Yes, you are reading that correctly. My car, as I was driving home, told me that it was 82* outside! Glorious day of sun and warmth!
Even the tulips came out to say hello!
Besides having the glorious warm weather, one of my teachers cancelled our big lab practical that was supposed to happen tomorrow! Best news! Except, thinking I would need to come home and study, I left all my gym clothes at home. So I decided to run around my neighborhood instead once the temp came down a bit. At 5:30 PM, it was still around 80* and I was tired of waiting.
Eating blood oranges is a productive way to wait until it gets cooler outside.
Off I went, expecting all puppies and rainbows for this run. I had taken a day off to let my legs stop being so sore and even done yoga. Nothing could go wrong, right?

Ha! Stupid legs rebelled again and the lateral shin splints rose from the dead and came out to play. Not nice! I had to stretch every couple minutes to ease away some of the lactic acid. Eventually, around the 20 minute mark, the pain went away but my Achilles tendons were tight. A girl can't win! I kept going and finished my 3.4 miler in 28:12. Not too bad for stopping so gal'darn much!
Yay! I'm done! And sweaty! And smelly! And red!
I did some leg exercises, like a ninja...
Don't be jealous of my grillz!
Instead of walking like an Egyptian, I prefer to walk like a zombie.

This lactic acid buildup is cray-cray. I'm not sure what's going on, but I had this problem last summer when I was training for the half marathon I ended up not being able to do because of an injury (more on that later). I've been drinking a lot of tea lately, maybe that's a factor?!

What's the worst exercising injury or pain you've ever had? How did you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment